Monday, February 14, 2011

The start of something new…?

I’ve been back in Victoria for just over two weeks now, and I’m loving every minute of spending my time with family and friends! Just over the last week I’ve been able to watch one of my god-daughters move from crawling to beginning to take her first wobbly steps. It’s such a blessing to have wonderful people around me when I come home from my adventures abroad!

During my time at home so far, I have also been planning for my next adventure, which took me to Vancouver this weekend for an interview with an English teaching company in Japan. For some of you this may come as a surprise that I am moving on so quickly after coming back from London. However, I have been thinking for some time about making the move to Japan. It will be a far different experience from anything I encountered in England, but part of me has been looking for something more personally challenging, and I think that learning Japanese and living in the very different culture there will satisfy my desire for change.

After a whole weekend of interviewing with my top pick of company to go with, I am left feeling optimistic but not 100% sure about receiving a job offer. I am realizing that my teaching qualifications put me in a different category than most of the other people applying for these jobs. As a bachelors degree in any discipline is sufficient to apply for most ESL teaching jobs in Japan, most of the other applicants I met this weekend did not have any teaching experience. However, most of them had been to Japan previously or had some knowledge of Japanese, which would help them upon arrival. So, I’m left now in the waiting game.

I will keep you posted with the results and hopefully it will be good news I will be updating here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment