Saturday, November 1, 2008

Canadian Girls Rock!

So I know I've spoken briefly about my fellow Canadian teachers here in Bonham Carter House and Warwickshire House, but I would just like to say how thankful I am to have these ladies here with me. Making the transition to a foreign country is a daunting task to say the least, and even when jetlag begins to fade away, there are many moments when my brain asks me "Arlene, what the *bleep* are you doing?" But these wonderful Canadian girls seem to have a way of keeping me sane. I think a huge part of it is just realizing that I'm not alone in every feeling and every struggle of the transition to London life. Even though I've only know some of these ladies for a week now, I feel like I have known them forever. It's great to have other people to go explore the city with, or explore our own building, as the case may be (there will be stories to come about this crazy building that we live in!). Just about every night this week we have cooked our dinners together and watched a movie in someone's room. Tonight four of us were watching a movie and talking and I ended up laughing until I cried and it felt so good. It is so great to have people around who understand how you're feeling when you suddenly have a moment of homesickness.
I am so grateful to have this built-in support system already and I'm excited to get out and start teaching and meet even more great people!

2 comments:

  1. I am SO glad to hear that you're being taken care of, my friend! It's awesome that you're building some awesome community already. I know they can't be nearly as wonderful as your girls here (obviously), but they'll do for now. ;)

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever Julie, we're totally being replaced. haha.

    Glad to hear things are going well! Can't wait to hear about your building about more importantly... your teaching!

    xox
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete