Sunday, April 26, 2009

Six month mark

It’s official: as of Thursday I passed the six month mark of living here in London. And I am looking forward to the next six, and however many more there may be. It’s funny to think that at this point of my Bolivia experience I was heading back to Canada, and feeling fairly ready to be going home. I can’t say I’m feeling that way about London yet.

Looking back on my time in London so far I can say that it started out a bit rough, but the city has really grown on me. I think the biggest adjustment at first was learning to live downtown in a big city. Coming from my small neighbourhood in Victoria, Central London is a busy and fast-paced place and I live right in the middle of this. It was overwhelming at first, but the more I got to know the city I was able to find places outside of the central core where I could enjoy the city without quite so much of the noise of downtown. I have to say, though, that I wouldn’t trade where I live at this point. Being so central is a real bonus when it comes to getting around for work, and for enjoying the night life on the weekends.

I suppose there was a certain novelty at first to being able to say that I live in London, England, and still is to some extent. Living in any foreign and exotic locale is exciting. However, for the most part my life here has been just that, real life. Of course, weekend trips to Paris or Ireland and Christmas in Spain are definite perks to living in the UK. Most of the time, though, I spend my week working and my weekends relaxing and enjoying the city. Real life in London.

Well, here’s to the next six months!

No comments:

Post a Comment