Saturday, May 16, 2009

The New School

This week was my first full week in my new full-time position at an SEN school here in London. I had a great week and I think I'm going to enjoy working at this school. I'm working one on one, or sometimes two on one, with students who for various reasons can't be educated at present in the mainstream school system. I think the part I like the most about this position, compared with the supply work I'd been doing previously, is that I actually get to know the students I'm working with. My first week has been filled with interesting challenges of putting together lessons that will work for the individuals I'm working with. It's nice to be using more of the skills I learned in university and teaching practica in the planning I'm doing now.
In other news, there is only one more week of work left until the half-term break! This half-term is particularly exciting, as my parents and brother are coming to London to see me and do some traveling together. I can't wait to get out of London and do some more exploring!
Here are some pictures of places I've seen recently:
Canterbury Cathedral


Leeds Castle



Springtime in London (Regent's Park)

2 comments:

  1. I am loving your pictures, arlene!! Your new job sounds like such a welcome and exciting change... personally, I love working with one or two students at a time, and it must be fulfilling (but of course challenging) to tailor the lessons to them and get to know the kids. So cool how things can work out! (maybe how God helps sort through that with us/for us?). Totally exciting that your family is coming to see you! How long is term break? Where are you going??? Thinking of toi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for the position. Here's a post interesting for you or any other languages teacher.

    -Language teaching abroad:
    http://babelanmicroblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/language-teaching-abroad.html


    Cheers

    ReplyDelete